1 pound of mild sausage
1/2 onion, chopped
8 oz package of sliced mushrooms
2 cups frozen tater tots
6 slices white bread, cubed in large pieces
3 cups of grated Cheddar cheese
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups of milk
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tomato, thinly sliced
- In a medium skillet, brown sausage, onion, and mushrooms until sausage is no longer pink.
- Spray a 9×13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the tater tots in the casserole dish followed by a layer of the bread cubes.
- Add the sausage, onion, mushrooms over the bread and sprinkle an even layer of cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, milk, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the casserole. (I topped with more cheese)
- Layer the top of the casserole with sliced tomatoes.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, remove the casserole from the refrigerator and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- When the oven is ready,remove the plastic wrap and bake casserole for 1 hour.