I did the usual White Trash (two huge batches to be exact) but I also added a hint of chocolate sweetness for our new neighbors.
Chocolate Blooms - Original Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- Raspberry Ganache
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Add brown sugar, baking powder and salt; beat until combined
- Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour and cocoa powder.
- Beat as much of the flour mixture into the butter mixture as you can with the mixture; stir by hand any remaining mixture.
- Stir in chocolate
- Shape into 1 inch balls and place on un-greased cookie sheet; press thumb into the center of each ball to make an indent.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are set.
- Immediately use the rounded side of a 1 tsp. measure to press down the center of each cookie.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks.
- Spoon Raspberry Ganache into center of each cookie.
- 6 oz dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp raspberry jam
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine dark chocolate, whipping cream and jam.
- Microwave for 1 minute; stir until melted