Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Shrimp and Grits

I finally got back into the cooking swing of things and whipped up a Southern favorite. I unfortunately realized that I had never cooked grits in my entire life. Thankfully butter and cheese does wonders.


I apologize in advance for the lack of measurements. I like to wing it when I cook so it is really up to your preference.


Ingredients:
Frozen Shrimp
Conecuh Sausage (this makes it spicy so beware)
1 Red Pepper
1/2 Purple Onion
Clove of Garlic
Grits
Chicken Stock
Flour
Salt
Pepper
Cheddar Cheese
Butter


Directions:
  • Sweat onions and peppers on stovetop. 
  • Sear sausage and add crushed garlic clove. After sausage is paritally cooked, add shrimp and cover. After 4-5 minutes, add chicken stock and partially cover. 
  • Once shrimp has pinkened, remove some of the mixture. Add a sprinkle of flour to sauce. Mix with a pinch each of salt & pepper.
  • Cook grits according to package, substituting chicken stock for water. When the grits are almost cooked, add butter and cheese (amounts to your liking).
  • Prepare grits in bowl and scoop shrimp mixture on top. Enjoy!

Original recipe: Pawleys Island Posh

No comments:

Post a Comment