Monday, December 14, 2015

Reflect

I feel like the holidays make you do a little reflection and it seems that has been abundant this year (could be due to completing my shopping before December). Yes, I know I need to lose some weight and relax a little bit. I also need to savor the small moments but what about a look back. What would I change? What would I tell my younger self?

Friends are worth it | Those great, true lasting friends are worth the fight. I hate talking on the phone something real bad (to anyone), but love texting with my girls. A fun, casual girls weekend is also good for the soul.

Family | Family is the bedrock to making life complete. Who do you lean on in times of need or concern? Who is there even when you mess up or not being too nice? Having a baby taught me the sacrifices made and the importance of those you call "family" in your life.

Some battles aren't worth fighting | In hindsight, are the petty arguments really worth it? Did you really accomplish anything other than harsh words and bruised hearts? This is one I struggle with but learning with age that you can let go a little.

But some battles are | The hubs would say I am strong-willed but I am severely loyal to my beliefs. Do I appreciate being undermined or subdued? Heck no and my Southern girl willpower will prove that (Luckily, or unfortunately, MT seems to have gotten this trait). I think fighting for what you believe in shows passion and I hope MT continues that...I may eat my words in ten years.

Enjoy going out while you are young because eventually your body won't hang anymore
| If I am up past 10:30, I am not fun to hang with. I like my sleep.

Sometimes you just need a "me" day | Not a spa day but a wake-up at 10, visit Target, eat a yummy lunch and watch trashy TV day. A day with just you and your thoughts is good for the soul to recharge.

The best wine isn't always expensive | While this is true, any price tag can give you a nasty hangover. And truthfully after two glasses, wine starts to taste the same. Trader Joe's has provided "two-buck chuck" as proof on this belief.

Stay true to yourself and never comprise what you believe | People will always try to change you or sway your decisions. At the end of the day, you have to be happy with you and your decisions. Be you, do you and in the end you will be happy.

Loss hurts | While I have seen little loss in my life, it breaks your heart. A heart hurt so bad you feel like you can't breathe. Loss can be death or the loss of trust, which can easily be the death of a relationship.

You aren't better than anyone else | I didn't learn this until I was out of college and in the "real world". I always compared myself to the prettier girl or the one with the $500 shoes. Underneath people are all the same with the same struggles just experienced in different ways. The same goes for those less fortunate. That person you look down upon may have an incredible story worth listening to. I still find myself comparing my life to the skinnier moms, the moms with an innate amount of spare time or the ones buying $400 dresses right and left. While their life seems pretty in pictures, is it really all that it seems?

Life should always come before work | Being real honest, I thought less of those moms that left early or seemed to always have a sick child. I thought they didn't care about work or success. While being an integral employee is still key to me, my baby comes first. I can work my booty off and still be there for the school parties. I know I missed the first crawl or first word by being a working mom but I also know who and what is first in my life. Those who live the other way around may look back and have regrets.

Marriage is hard and it takes two people to make it work | When you are dating you think the "marriage is tough" talk is a joke. How can being roommates with pretty rings be hard? But boy it is hard. As much as the going gets tough, I forget how lucky I am to have a great partner in life. We bicker, laugh, cry and sigh but we do it together as partners.

When you travel, try to travel outside of cell service | It makes disconnecting much easier. On our honeymoon, we didn't have internet or television for 6 days and it was perfection!

Trust your gut | It is 99.8% right.

Take the time to laugh every once in a while | And make sure those memories have someone to cherish it with.

1 comment:

  1. Such a great post!! I love so many many of these. Friends, family, travel, marriage. So true and so worth it.

    ReplyDelete