Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Don't Blink


The days are long but the years are short.

I never really got it until I had Mary Tilman. I never got the exhaustion, the busy, the lifechanging-ness that everyone said would come. I never got a lot of it until I had Mary Tilman.

When she was an infant, I yearned for more sleep, less baby weight, more help, less fear. I longed for the next phase, whether that be sleeping through the night, sitting up, crawling, walking and talking. I was always ready for the next phase. 

Expecting our second baby, you tell yourself what you would do differently. You set new expectations because you have already lived through it and come out the other side. You know that the moments are fleeting. There will be good days but there will be bad ones too. There will be long days but days that will fly by. There will be a moment when you look up and see this toddler standing in front of you and you wonder where the time went.

The days, yes they are long, but the years are way too short.

No comments:

Post a Comment